Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Ballet-inspired Audition Outfit

The Look:
Top: Kohl's
Skirt: Kohl's
Jacket: Kohl's
Shoes: Ebay UK
Tights: Wal*mart







Hi there! Kae here, for an overdue blog post. I've been negligent of this blog, though I really do love it, and with the great outfit-wearing weather (i.e. autumn, when I can actually stand to put on more than two items of clothing) I will try to post more regularly.

On Monday I auditioned for the UTEP Dinner Theatre's production of Carrie: the musical. I picked this outfit that morning, not just for my audition--not that I didn't want to look cute at the audition--but just because I've been out so infrequently, I started dressing in my nicer clothes (as in, not just jeans and tees) anytime I've been getting dressed (which doesn't happen every day, lemme tell you).

I wore a blush colored crop top with a black skater skirt, black tights, and black heeled chelsea boots. I agonized over which of three skirts I should pair with the top, but the unadorned black knit won because I loved how it reminded me of a ballet practice outfit. The tights are also ribbed to match the ribbing of the top. Then, because my voice teacher insisted (in her own words, "For god's sake, cover up!"), for the sake of my voice, of course, I added my edgy new motorcycle jacket on top. I love how the studs are embossed on the faux leather. I heart metal studs, but this is different from anything I have seen before and the lack of metal means I can wear this piece with whatever color of metal accessories I please (forgoing the gunmetal zipper).

Wearing this outfit made me feel so pretty and feminine! I definitely think feeling confident in my outfit contributed to feeling confident at the audition, because guess what? I nailed it!!! I got selected as part of a fourteen person cast, and there was at least forty people at the audition. So I'm pretty much over the moon, walking on air, and on cloud nine right now.

Update: I received the cast list and it turns out they ended up with a cast of eighteen people. I guess we were all too good not to choose!

This experience helped validate my suspicion that clothing definitely influences how one feels about things. If I feel pretty, life is pretty, and if I feel ugh, life is ugh; so I should wear clothes that make me feel confident, beautiful, and positive so I can project those feelings into my daily life.

Until next time, wear what makes you confident! - Kae xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment